Sunday 28 August 2016

Review: It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Whispered by Clara Cheng at 8:34 pm

It Ends With Us | Colleen Hoover 
Publication Date: August 2nd 2016
Publisher: Atria Books
Genre: Romance, New Adult, Contemporary, Psychological
Owned, Kindle edition, 384 pages

Synopsis:
Sometimes the one who loves you is the one who hurts you the most.

Lily hasn't always had it easy, but that's never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up - she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, and maybe even a little arrogant. He's also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily, but Ryle's complete aversion to relationships is disturbing,

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan - her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

With this bold and deeply personal novel, Colleen Hoover delivers a heart-wrenching story that breaks exciting new ground for her as a writer. It Ends With Us is an unforgettable tale of love that comes at the ultimate price.

My Review: ★★★★


"In the future... if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again... fall in love with me." He presses his lips against my forehead. "You're still my favorite person, Lily. Always will be."

This book wrecked me in the best possible way - I'm still being caught in the whirlwind of emotional turmoil, feeling the sorrowfulness in the hole of my shattered heart slowly seeping through my soul.

I have been suggested to start reading this book blindly, even without having a glimpse at the synopsis, but it was too late at that time because I had seen it several times. It somewhat worried me, I thought it would affect my connection with the story, but boy was I wrong. I totally did not see it coming. The brutally painful, heart-wrenching, ugly, naked truth.

The story was very difficult to be read because it was heavy with raw, emotional punch at the personal level. I could barely breathe for almost every single page, like I was anchored in the water as well. The fluid writing style made me fall in love and also fall apart - as if I was a part of the story, but honestly I doubted I could walk through all of these messes if it was me.

"I feel like everyone fakes who they really are, when deep down we're all equal amounts of screwed up. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others."

I must admit I adored all of the characters in this book, especially Lily, Atlas and Ryle. They were all flawed and broken, which made them beautifully human. It was saddening to uncover their pasts and travel along their constant struggles for survival - to live a better life, to behold on the hatred and compassion at the same time when everything hideous terrifyingly turned the superficial happiness over.

"There is no such thing as bad people. We're all just people who sometimes do bad things."

To simply say this was another aesthetically-written book by Colleen Hoover would be an understatement, because it was so much more. It delivered a strong and sensible message to all of the readers with powerful impact. I smiled through the beginning, and then wept through the rest of the story. The delicate layers of story entwined with characters' complexity totally made me feel it. Still feeling it.

And if you could only read a book under contemporary genre this year, read this.

Perfect for this book: Love in the Dark | Adele

You have given me something that I can't live without
You mustn't underestimate that when you're in doubt
But I don't want to carry on like everything is fine
The longer we ignore it all the more that we will fight
Please don't fall apart
I can't face your breaking heart
I'm trying to be brave
Stop asking me to stay


With love,
post signature

8 lovely confession(s):

czai on 28 August 2016 at 22:37 said...

aaahh, I've been reading great things about this book. I haven't read anything by Colleen Hoover but I'm really eyeing this one. Great review :)

czai @ the Blacksheep Project

Kate @ The Bookaholic Blurbs on 29 August 2016 at 09:53 said...

I just also posted my review! CoHo is a heartbreaker!

Zoey River on 29 August 2016 at 17:08 said...

So you read it!
Yes... Colleen Hoover's books are... well, someone needs to invent a new word to describe what her books do to your heart.

Her books are heartwarming & heartbreaking, beautiful & ugly, sweet & sad, happy & tragic. Just like there can't be light without dark, Colleen Hoover's books show us good things can't exsist without the bad.

I often find myself in a state of emotional wreck after a Colleen Hoover book. Sometimes, that's the reason I don't read them. That's the reason why I can't read It Ends With Us. The emotional toll this kind of book takes on you... it's not for everyone.
But I love her books nontheless. Colleen Hoover is with no doubt one of the best, most talented authors I ever had the plessure of reading.

Beautiful review, Clara.
You should probably read something sweet and fluffy to recover from It Ends With Us (:

Laurie I on 29 August 2016 at 19:36 said...

Thx for the great review.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog on 29 August 2016 at 22:55 said...

I really liked this one. Super emotional and a great message. Lovely review!

Aentee on 30 August 2016 at 09:53 said...

I loved this book so much and I am glad to see it touched you just as much <3 I especially loved Lily as a character and all the tough choices she dared to make.

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity on 30 August 2016 at 10:00 said...

Ah, I REALLY need to read a Colleen Hoover book! I have only ever heard good things about them. That they are beautifully written, and super emotional, as well as really shipp-y.

I recently bought Slammed, because that was the one that everyone recommended to me when i asked which one I should start with. So I do have that to read when I finally get some ~me~ reading time (when I finish all my review copies *hides*).

I'm so glad you liked this one! It's amazing when you find a book that you love this much. :)

CG @ Paper Fury on 31 August 2016 at 18:19 said...

oh so glad this one gave you all the feels!! I've only read one Colleen Hoover book and it didn't really do much for me...but I've been wondering if I should try another one by her at some point.😂 OMG I LOVE YOUR PHOTO. so beautiful!!

 

♥ La Sourire