Saturday 3 September 2016

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Whispered by Clara Cheng at 3:58 pm

Throne of Glass | Sarah J. Maas
Publication Date: August 2nd 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Owned, Paperback, 404 pages

Synopsis:
Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly.
Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin's heart be melted?

My Review: ★★★★

"We all bear scars... Mine just happened to be more visible than most."

Okay, Throne of Glass is now officially, irrevocably becoming one of my most favorite series, ever.

I was absolutely devoured by the world building and the premise surrounding it, and I'm dying inside, hopelessly waiting to be rescued by my Chaol. It somehow makes me sad, seeing that the entire story and its characters were all merely creations by words plus the imagination of my own.

When I was first introduced to Celaena in this book, being the deadliest assassin, I expected her to be emotionally aloof and the barriers to her heart would be very much harder to breakthrough. Hence I was honestly surprised upon the realization that there was so much femininity in her - she cared about clothes, her appearance, and she pretty much aware of how others had been attracted by her beauty. It didn't really bother me though, in fact I admired her sensitivity on emotions, perhaps it was the softness hidden beneath that makes her stronger.

And CHAOL. Seriously, need I say more? I love Dorian too, but I feel Chaol and Celaena are meant to be together. I JUST FEEL IT.

All in all, if you asked me to describe the book in one word, I think I'm gonna let you down because there is no any single word I could muster to entirely fit in the awesomeness I've experienced while reading this book.

Perfect for this book:



Oh, all of these minutes passing, sick of feeling used
If you wanna break these walls down, you're gonna get bruised
Now my neck is open wide, begging for a fist around it
Already choking on my pride, so there's no use crying about it


With love,
post signature

6 lovely confession(s):

Carynn on 4 September 2016 at 23:26 said...

I love the Throne of Glass series and I'm glad you enjoyed them too! Chaol is just ugh, he's so precious!

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity on 6 September 2016 at 12:03 said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Clara! Back when I read it, there was so much hype (there still is, really), and I had expected so much from it, so ultimately I was left pretty disappointed. I do like that Celaena is a multi-faceted character, and her love for books is very relatable. I really liked the sequel, Crown of Midnight, and I hope you do, too!

Diva Booknerd on 14 September 2016 at 18:57 said...

Wasn't it amazing Clara! I loved Celaena, she's such an incredibly fierce heroine and I was surprised how feminine she was too, where most authors would have created more of a Tom boy type character. I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series, I've just finished Empire of Storms and now have the long wait for the finale. Amazing review, really enjoyed it <3

Jeann @ Happy Indulgence on 17 September 2016 at 20:17 said...

Yessss I'm so glad you enjoyed Throne of Glass! ITS SO GOOD and I love those bookmarks that you picked up. I definitely shipped her with Chaol as well <3

Thuong Le on 19 September 2016 at 04:09 said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Throne of Glass! I read it a year ago and I wasn't a huge fan of it but I'm been told countless of times that I must continue on with the series, which I plan to do but its taken me agggges to get round to it. I liked the premise, it was interesting. What I didn't like was Celaena (ugh) sorry if you liked her lol but I just found her so up herself and arrogant. She annoyed me to no ends, but I think she and Chaol belongs together. Great review! ;)
Thuong @ireeadthereforeiam.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!
Glad to see you enjoyed Throne of Glass! I need to find the time to pick this series back up.

Patty @ BookishWanderlove

 

♥ La Sourire